My ISP Blocking Torrents

search this thread

I have been having loads of trouble lately, even just connecting to KAT so I ran this test.
My ISP is Talktalk
Any comments welcome
MPI-SWS
Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic
Results for your host (host-92-20-245-1.as13285.net - 92.20.245.1):
Are certain ports blocked for all traffic?
2 out of 3 BitTorrent transfers on port 6881 failed to download any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from downloading BitTorrent traffic on port 6881 to our test server.
1 out of 3 control flow transfers on port 6881 failed to download any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from downloading control flow traffic on port 6881 to our test server.
2 out of 3 BitTorrent transfers on port 45497 failed to download any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from downloading BitTorrent traffic on port 45497 to our test server.
Notice: Undefined offset: 4 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 582
Notice: Undefined offset: 6 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 605
Notice: Undefined offset: 4 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 640
Notice: Undefined offset: 6 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 641
Warning: Division by zero in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 645
Is your upload traffic rate limited?
There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.
Is your download traffic rate limited?
Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.
Details:
* Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 8095 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 0 Kbps.
* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits downloads on port 6881 or 45497. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 8095 Kbps while downloads on port 45497 achieved up to 7666 Kbps.
You can view the detailed measurement results of the test here.
For more details on how Glasnost tests work, please read our NSDI 2010 paper.
For details on our research on broadband networks please refer to our network transparency project webpage
In case you have questions about this tool or our research, please contact us: broadband @at@ mpi-sws org
I have hidden my IP and ticked randomize ports on uTorrents but nothing working. Keep getting a Socket Failure saying too many lines open 24. Any Ideas?

Update. Thanks for all comments, here is a link to some B*llshiteTraffic Management Policy
If you are suffering then this link may help Setting Torrent Client

Update 2 Have spoken to tech service who assured me my IP had no restrictions, however shortly after the call ended my DL speed went back to normal.
Not good man, hope you can get it fixed soon.sadshocked
You probably thought of this but have you considered a VPN? VPN could help

My ISP also throttles & known to block but I have had way less of this using a VPN and keeps them out of your business, too

Last edited by rapids2, 2 years and 9 months ago

go to hide my ass checks for fast and speedy connection server , basically i prefer servers in ukraine and eastern european. Select a server with high+ka
8 MBps is pretty damn good for speed.
Generally, ISP's can only monitor what you upload, so you could download illegal stuff, if you don't upload any of it.
Which pretty much goes against everything BitTorrent's stand for.
I generally download movies and games in RAR archives because the names are typically obscured. If a person can't find those, then they should find direct download sites or get a VPN like rapids2 suggested.
It's kind of ironic that downloading free stuff is becoming more expensive all the time.

They can monitor both and they do. Though they don't block you cus of that. They block you because of bandwidth usage. I know that sounds asinine, but that's what they do. They do on occasion block known ports, but that's always second to throttling you because of bandwidth.
They can monitor both and they do. Though they don't block you cus of that. They block you because of bandwidth usage. I know that sounds asinine, but that's what they do. They do on occasion block known ports, but that's always second to throttling you because of bandwidth.
sure can, even downloading early hours of the morning only, if i do it too much i end up with a 0.13 down 0.03 up speed for a few days to punish me.........
That must be a more recent.
My ISP has never turned off my internet access because I downloaded something from a website, but they have on a number of occassions, turned it off because I was uploading copyrighten files through a bit-torrent program.
I wouldn't be surprised if that has changed recently.
My ISP has always restricted bandwidth for us, we pay for a certain bandwidth rate each month. Whether I download/upload 100 TB or only 5 MB in a month doesn't matter.
Is it any different for other places?

It's always been that way. ISP's for the most part only throttle you for 2 reasons. 1. They got a letter saying you have downloaded copywritten material. 2. Bandwidth issues. or 2b. Bandwidth issues relating to torrenting. They won't differentiate between uploading and downloading. They lump it together.
When you get a letter from your ISP it always notes "downloading" as a reason. Granted the letter isn't from your ISP.
OMG,is too badimage
I would not trust a site that has Notice: Undefined offset: error messages they obviously cant programme, that error comes from trying to access an array key thats not set most likely from a blank result set, and Division by zero means there dividing a value by 0 like
<?php echo (1/0);?>

Anyways, a good way to bypass your ISP is to tunnel your traffic through a proxy, VPN ect. I personally like routing all my p2p traffic through a ssh connection and tunnelling(socks5) it with putty, then in utorrent choose the sock5 proxy and point to localhost. then the connection from me to a single server is encrypted. Then as I have root on the remote server I just run a sh script to purge any logs. Peer block is a great tool but its not bullet proof, and your isp will see thousands of ACK connections to your ip this is suspicious and is what most likely they watch out for, plus your port choice. The default 6881 port is a bad choice and utorrent will quite happily run on port 80,8080,443

Last edited by lcherone, 2 years and 9 months ago

Report a bug