Added on Aug 1, 2008 in Music
Downloaded 0 times.
VA - GSTS compilation - The Ska Coverup! (Size: 181.67 MB)
www.gststracker.com not only has punk, oi, psychobilly, metal and other genres, it also houses a growing collection of awesome Ska tunes!! So if you like your music skanking hot, then check this out, and check us out too!!!!
GSTS tracker proudly presents the new »staff« compilation, called »The Ska Coverup!«! As the title suggests this compilation mostly consists of songs that ska bands have covered.
Many might ask, why a covers compilation and only ska, since GSTS tracker is not just a ska site, but has a rich collection of punk, psychobilly, metal and many other subgenres as well. Firstly the idea was to do a ska compilation, because we felt that the ska & reggae section wasn't well represented in our previous compilations. The second thing is that, when ska first started in the late 50's and early 60's by leaders of Sound system, such as Prince Buster, Clement "Coxsone" Dodd and Duke Reid, most of the ska songs were indeed covers of hits by well known artists such as The Beatles and many movie theme songs. Who could forget »Guns Of Navarone« by The Skatalites, which is one of the leading songs in the the first disc, that represent the whole idea of the compilation.
To avoid any confusion, we have divided the songs into two discs, cause we feel that some ska giants such as The Skatalites, shouldn't be compared with ska punk bands as The Mighty Mighty BossTones and also to indicate the development of ska, where it came from and where it goes.
The first disc includes mostly ska bands that »pay respect to the roots« and the great british ska revival, also known as 2Tone. The roots are represented with The Skatalites' hit »Guns Of Navarone«, Toots And Maytals' original live cover of the classic »Louie Louie« and the Neil Diamond cover »Red Red Wine« by Tony Tribe, that has been also covered by Bob Marley. 2Tone is represented by two songs of the always fun band Bad Manners and by the original »James Bond« cover by The Selecter. The other songs where choosen from bands that are currently still active and keeping the traditional ska still alive, such as The Slackers, Skinnerbox and the cover band Skandalous All-Stars and The Toasters and The Scofflaws, who are said to be american 2Tone bands, that are heavily influenced by the third wave era.
As the first disc may have a more serious tone, the second disc is filled with playful and fun covers by mostly third wave ska bands and ska punk bands and even a great Specials cover by the well known punk band Stiff Little Fingers. On this record you'll find, for example, funny covers of Europe's »The Final Countdown« by Wisecracker or »Paranoid«, the well known Black Sabbath song covered by Ruder Than You.The second disc also includes a cover of The Clash's classic »Rudie Can't Fail« by ska punk pioneers The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and a great cover of Rancid's »Radio« by NOFX.
So what are you waiting for? This compilation contains some more or less original covers, that offer lots of skankin' fun! If you'll like this compilation, visit the GSTStracker Ska & Reggae section, where you'll find many more ska from all the waves and early reggae.
Artwork by Kimosabi
The songs were choosen by the staff members of GSTS, »The Pirates Council«.
Masterminded by our resident Ska-man himself: Corizondeoro.
1. 01 - 1969 (3:11)
2. 02 - Guns Of Navarone (6:26)
3. 03 - James Bond (2:18)
4. 04 - Black Night (3:15)
5. 05 - Wanted Dead Or Alive (3:53)
6. 06 - Straight To Hell (5:27)
7. 07 - Secret Agent Man (2:44)
8. 08 - Louie Louie (5:43)
9. 09 - Orgasm Addict (3:37)
10. 10 - Red Red Wine (2:57)
11. 11 - James Bond theme (7:00)
12. 12 - Baby Elephant Walk (2:01)
13. 13 - Sweet Home Town Jamaica (4:12)
14. 14 - The Good The Bad And The Ugly (2:31)
15. 15 - Canteloup Island (4:20)
16. 16 - I Shall Be Released (4:18)
Total Playing Time: 64:01 (min:sec)
Total Size : 101.5 MB (106,394,064 bytes)
1. 01 - Rock And Roll All Night (Skandalous All-Stars) (4:30)
2. 02 - Rudie Can't Fail (The Mighty Mighty BossTones) (3:38)
3. 03 - Dancing in The Street (BeNuts) (2:33)
4. 04 - Hotel California (Ska Daddyz) (4:25)
5. 05 - Radio (NOFX) (2:54)
6. 06 - Paranoid (Ruder Than You) (1:56)
7. 07 - Doesn't Make It Alright (Stiff Little Fingers) (5:48)
8. 08 - Nite Club (Citizen Fish) (3:08)
9. 09 - Final Countdown (Wisecracker) (2:15)
10. 10 - Land Down Under ([spunge]) (3:29)
11. 11 - Don't Worry, Be Happy (The Busters) (2:57)
12. 12 - Guns Of Brixton (Inner Terrestrials) (3:33)
13. 13 - Brown Eyed Girl (Magadog) (3:07)
14. 14 - Mustang Sally (The Gadjits) (3:36)
15. 15 - Hare Tonic (Let's Go Bowling) (2:02)
16. 16 - SuperCaliFragilisticExpialiDocius (Oi-Skall Mates) (2:28)
Total Playing Time: 52:28 (min:sec)
Total Size : 80.0 MB (83,910,987 bytes)