formating tools

search this thread

Maryam010 User
hey guys, i am looking for a software to format my hard drive its 1 tb and its on exFAT format need to change that to either NTFS or FAT
AhrimanThorn23546 Forum Moderator
Welcome to KAT Maryam01. I assume that you have a disc with an OS on so you can reinstall your operating system after the format, if so then you can use that disc to do a format by booting from the disc. If this is a format on an external drive then you can just use your computer to do the format by right clicking on the drive and selecting format and then choosing either NTFS or FAT. I recommend using FAT because NTFS will limit the size of files that can be used.
its an external and i have tried using my comp but it doesnt format nothing happens
Nothing happens at all when you right click and select format? Do you get told that there is a reason the drive cannot be formatted?
nop nothing happens just the format window opens and when you format it it stays like that for hour when you click cancel some messgae apears about interupting the format
Well formatting a drive of that size using a USB 2.0 connection can take quite a long time. It might take more than an hour so I would just leave it a bit longer. The fact that you get the message that formatting has been interrupted does seem to suggest that it is making the attempt to format the drive. If you have the option to connect using eSATA (which is how my external is connected) that will make the process a little quicker.
onlyrk251321 Translator
hey Maryam010 welcome to KAT..find ur answer in this link
http://thelightroomlab.com/2009/01/formatting-an-external-hard-drive/

Last edited by onlyrk25, 1 year and 9 months ago

Oh earlier on I wrongly advised you to use FAT instead of NTFS and it actually should be the other way round, sorry for any confusion, trying to do to many things all at once at the moment.
TimeBandits33478 Super User
Welcome to KAT Maryam01. I assume that you have a disc with an OS on so you can reinstall your operating system after the format, if so then you can use that disc to do a format by booting from the disc. If this is a format on an external drive then you can just use your computer to do the format by right clicking on the drive and selecting format and then choosing either NTFS or FAT. I recommend using FAT because NTFS will limit the size of files that can be used.
Not sure but I think NTFS would be better choice.
Edit. Sorry AhrimanThorn23546 I hadn't read this far down to see your correction.biggrin

Last edited by TimeBandits, 1 year and 9 months ago

Prairi3DoG109177 Super Moderator
hey guys, i am looking for a software to format my hard drive its 1 tb and its on exFAT format need to change that to either NTFS or FAT

Welcome to KAT Maryam010

Format type

FAT, FAT32 or NTFS volumes, there.. making the Choice, depends on few things ..
HDD will be for the Operating System, or using as an external disk storage?
Operating System, Windows I would say, right?
What OS will be installed on it (W7, Me, 98, etc..)?

--Take a look to this info

Software to format

There may be many options, Me ..to format a HDD from booting (in boot time), I prefer to use Gparted, given all the options for types of formats .. options for more profound matter, such as wearing a hard drive to Low Level Format, it would then Hiren Boot CD

Last edited by Prairi3DoG, 1 year and 9 months ago

Report a bug